Site Notices
4/24/2014 10:21:04 AM
Author
Posted: 12/20/2012 10:44:47 PM
[Last Edit: 12/20/2012 10:45:24 PM by M3rc_Nate]

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
So i had a thread before but apparently because i try to be thorough and give you all background info and reasoning for decisions so you know where im coming from, i got a slap on the wrist over a mis understanding. So now im going to over simplify my question.

Larue Tactical OBR 16" 5.56 Cal vs. Larue Tactical PredatOBR 16" 5.56 Cal

They are the same price now. (Last i had looked at their prices OBR was more expensive). So now i don't know which to get. From what i can tell reading their specs, there are a few little differences that add up. And a few larger differences such as the OBR has a medium weight barrel (PredatOBR has light weight), and the OBR has 10 MOA Cant (PredatOBR has 0 cant). Admittedly i dont even know if i want Cant or not so feel free to drop knowledge bombs on me, informing me of the differences and why i would want one over the other.

joshdb50
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/20/2012 10:47:07 PM
Originally Posted By M3rc_Nate:
So i had a thread before but apparently because i try to be thorough and give you all background info and reasoning for decisions so you know where im coming from, i got a slap on the wrist over a mis understanding. So now im going to over simplify my question.

Larue Tactical OBR 16" 5.56 Cal vs. Larue Tactical PredatOBR 16" 5.56 Cal

They are the same price now. (Last i had looked at their prices OBR was more expensive). So now i don't know which to get. From what i can tell reading their specs, there are a few little differences that add up. And a few larger differences such as the OBR has a medium weight barrel (PredatOBR has light weight), and the OBR has 10 MOA Cant (PredatOBR has 0 cant). Admittedly i dont even know if i want Cant or not so feel free to drop knowledge bombs on me, informing me of the differences and why i would want one over the other.

I would like to know these things as well.
Originally Posted By staraero: Go fuck a light socket
balloo93
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/20/2012 10:56:32 PM
Personally I'd go with the Pedators longer handguard for more options on bipod and or hand stop placement.
ec4321
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/20/2012 10:58:08 PM
If I had to guess, your other thread was deleted because you were referring to a scenario which could have very easily be thought of as an illegal straw purchase.

The reason the OBR's have cant built into the rail is the whole OBR platform is bulked up for more accuracy which generally lends itself well to those that want to shoot longer distances and those that wish to generally prefer rails with cant built in to accommodate their long range optics.

fonzy934
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/20/2012 11:07:28 PM
Originally Posted By ec4321:

The reason the OBR's have cant built into the rail is the whole OBR platform is bulked up for more accuracy which generally lends itself well to those that want to shoot longer distances and those that wish to generally prefer rails with cant built in to accommodate their long range optics.

Umm, no. The reason that there is cant built into the upper receiver/rail is to increase the elevation adjustment range of your scope when shooting at very long distances. The downward cant forces you to zero the scope at a higher point in its elevation adjustment range, which allows you more downward elevation adjustment capability (and thus higher hold point to compensate for bullet drop).
M3rc_Nate
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/20/2012 11:08:27 PM
[Last Edit: 12/20/2012 11:10:30 PM by M3rc_Nate]
Originally Posted By balloo93:
Personally I'd go with the Pedators longer handguard for more options on bipod and or hand stop placement.

True i really like that longer handguard as well. However in the future i could see getting something weight saving and just as useable like JP Modular Handguard.

Originally Posted By ec4321:
If I had to guess, your other thread was deleted because you were referring to a scenario which could have very easily be thought of as an illegal straw purchase.

Hmmm...thats a tuff one then. Cause i am wanting such a high end, high price AR15 because i want it to be accurate at long distances....but then again it might be a while before i put down the big bucks required for a nice scope, it might be a while that i use flip up iron sights and possibly a steal priced red dot. If you were to guesstimate what ranges/accuracy differences do you think we are talking?

Fonzy: Oh ok. So if i understood that technical speak, it gives you more room to adjust for bullet drop. Which is something that happens when you shoot long range..so what do you think the difference is? 0 Cant PredatOBR and a 10 MOA Cant OBR?
fonzy934
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/20/2012 11:15:43 PM

Fonzy: Oh ok. So if i understood that technical speak, it gives you more room to adjust for bullet drop. Which is something that happens when you shoot long range..so what do you think the difference is? 0 Cant PredatOBR and a 10 MOA Cant OBR?

Your choice depends on what type of shooting you want to do, and what kind of optics you put on your gun. Few 5.56 ARs actually need the added 10 MOA of elevation adjustment. I shoot out to 600 yards with a 0 MOA Larue Stealth and a Leupold Mark 4 zeroed at 200 yards, and I don't have any issues with running out of elevation adjustment. In my opinion, the added cant is unnecessary on a 5.56.

Pick the gun with the shorter wait time. I wouldn't worry too much about the cant.
M3rc_Nate
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/20/2012 11:30:00 PM
[Last Edit: 12/20/2012 11:32:00 PM by M3rc_Nate]
Originally Posted By fonzy934:

Your choice depends on what type of shooting you want to do, and what kind of optics you put on your gun. Few 5.56 ARs actually need the added 10 MOA of elevation adjustment. I shoot out to 600 yards with a 0 MOA Larue Stealth and a Leupold Mark 4 zeroed at 200 yards, and I don't have any issues with running out of elevation adjustment. In my opinion, the added cant is unnecessary on a 5.56.

Pick the gun with the shorter wait time. I wouldn't worry too much about the cant.

Lol thats the answer i like to read, it basically doesn't affect anything. That makes sense. I hesitate a bit to describe the type of shooting i will be doing, because right now its in the phase of "the type of shooting i HOPE to do". Which would be basically anything outdoors (aka long range). I dont see much purpose/fun in shooting indoors in a range thats 30-100feet with a 5.56 rifle. My uncle (a shooter who lives nearby) says he goes with his friends to a property where they can shoot out to the limits of a .308 bolt action sniper (so 800-1000 yards) and the friend wants to build a Lapua .338 for more of a challenge..so the property might be even more than 1000 yards shootable. My point being, if i spent $2K+ on a AR, it would be a WHILE before i put down more money on a Long Rifle (like a R700), hence paying bigger bucks for higher quality/high procession/high accuracy Larue Tactical. So shooting out to 600 yards sounds perfect.

(If i was able to create a PERFECT ideal shooting scenario for myself. It would be a course of fire like Nutnfancy does [Sledgehammer]. So you jog a bit, shoot left at 50 yards out, shoot right at 75 yards out, jog more than 200 yard shot in a certain firing position, then run to a spot thats 500 or more yards out, and i go prone with bipod and control breathing and take long shots).

Btw i just thought of this...i believe i was informed in my last thread about a year ago, that there are even Scopes (or scope mounts, something like that) that come with Cant, so you can buy a Scope with Cant if you need it, or if you got a OBR you could buy a scope without Cant cause you already have enough. Is that true or am i totally off?
ImpacTT
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/20/2012 11:39:32 PM
good luck getting one it was already a long wait before but right now it's even worst. Glad I got mine over a year ago. .Love the OBR.
fonzy934
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/20/2012 11:42:15 PM

Btw i just thought of this...i believe i was informed in my last thread about a year ago, that there are even Scopes (or scope mounts, something like that) that come with Cant, so you can buy a Scope with Cant if you need it, or if you got a OBR you could buy a scope without Cant cause you already have enough. Is that true or am i totally off?

Yes, you can buy scope mounts with cant if you need more elevation adjustment. There are no scopes with cant built into them...that is kind of a nonsensical statement .

Shooting a 5.56 beyond 600 yards gets pretty dicey pretty quick in my experience. Wind becomes a huge factor with those tiny bullets, and reliable hits become quite difficult. I think you will be very happy shooting your 5.56 at 600 yards or less.
M3rc_Nate
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/20/2012 11:43:55 PM
[Last Edit: 12/21/2012 12:00:36 AM by M3rc_Nate]
Originally Posted By ImpacTT:
good luck getting one it was already a long wait before but right now it's even worst. Glad I got mine over a year ago. .Love the OBR.

Lol thanks, might end up never getting one cause of Ban or it being a WHILE if the ban doesnt happen. Would love to hear your OBR testimony. Anything about it you changed or wished was different? Anything the PredatOBR has that you'd have liked? From what i was informed of in my last thread, the medium weight barrel is pointless cause it adds no range/accuracy, and the large majority of shooters dont shot rapid enough to warrant medium weight.

Fonzy: Haha ya then scope mount is what i meant. :D But yeah so i guess that fully nullifies the Cant being a issue, when you add that to what you previously mentioned about it not even being really needed. But if it was, i could buy a scope mount that has it.
Exactly, thats what i always figured but hadnt been confirmed like you just did for me. Glad to hear you shoot out to 600 yards accurately with your LT with 0 Cant. Does anyone know of any other differences between the OBR and PredatOBR or do i need to dig into their specs and find them myself?

Well i might have made a whoopsie. Lol. Im suprised no one corrected me. It seems the OBR barrel is shared on both rifles. Meaning they are both medium weight i think. So the barrel difference is off the table as a discussion point. I think i was confused cause back when i discussed it last (my thread a year ago) the PredatAR existed, which was a light weight barrel which was lowest priced with no adjustable gas block. Then there was the PredatOBR which was medium priced with gas black and med weight barrel, and then OBR which was top of the line, highest price. But now obviously things have changed.
ridewaves
InstructorMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/21/2012 4:05:20 AM
tOBR had the same barrel as the OBR.
tOBR now has the QD barrel/handguard
tOBR does not have the built in 20 MOA rail
Diveanx
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/21/2012 8:46:21 AM
Anything that LaRue makes is an awesome purchase. The only differences in the rifles are the accessories. The chamber the same round and other than looks perform the same. I would suggest that anyone that is looking for a performance rifle to seriously consider LaRue as the make among the best available
M3rc_Nate
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/21/2012 3:14:01 PM
Originally Posted By ridewaves:
tOBR had the same barrel as the OBR.
tOBR now has the QD barrel/handguard
tOBR does not have the built in 20 MOA rail

OBR has a 10 MOA Cant rail. And what is the QD Barrel/Handguard mean? QD= Quick Detach?