Site Notices
4/17/2014 3:33:50 PM
4/15/2014 11:16:20 AM
Author
Posted: 7/27/2012 5:45:58 PM
[Last Edit: 7/27/2012 5:47:13 PM by XSentinel]

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
I just read this topic:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_126/578988_Question_For_SIG516_Owners__My_SIG516_FDE_Gas_Block_Is_Different.html
.. and for the first time read that there are different versions or generations of the Sig516. If I read correctly the bolt carrier and the gas block are different.

I have a Sig516 and a Sig716 and I did notice that my 516 came with a black plastic case and has a squared off piston "knob" (don't know what it is actually called) and it screws in. On my 716 it does not screw in. You just turn it and it can come right out. At first I just thought that the 716 and 516 were just different. But after reading that topic I am lead to believe that this is not so, and that Sig changed it in the newer 516's also.
So the obvious first question I have is:
1a. Am I right?
2a. Does it matter which one you have? Is one better than the other? Was this an "upgrade" to a better version or just different?

Next it seems as though they have changed the bolt carrier too.
1b. Am I right in assuming this too?
2b. Does this matter which one you have?
prov431
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/27/2012 6:49:23 PM
The gas block was changed on the gen 2 516, which happens to be the same as the 716 design. Does it matter which one you have? No...they both work fine, the newer version is more user friendly though.
As for the BCG, that's an old topic that goes back to copyright issues SIG had with the design....some have original BCG's, other's were "recalled" for a change....again, it doesn't make a difference which you have, they all perform as they should.

I have a 516 (gen 1) and wouldn't trade it for anything..........although I may just buy another 516 gen 2 because these are great guns.

XSentinel
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/29/2012 8:49:44 AM
Thanks for that info. I see little real difference in the gas block designs as far as functionality goes, I so I guess I'll just keep what I got. Although I don't know what I could do about it if I wanted to :)

As for the BCG, seems like same thing. If all it is was was a legal issue then I guess it doesn't matter which one you have. Although I never received any "recall" notice from SIg and I did register it with them. So I'm guessing it was not a serious recall as far as functionality or safety goes.

Thanks again for the info.
StonerAR10
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/29/2012 11:23:37 AM
I have three 516's and would not trade any of them. They bare just great guns.
Aaron556
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/29/2012 3:52:55 PM
Originally Posted By XSentinel:
I just read this topic:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_126/578988_Question_For_SIG516_Owners__My_SIG516_FDE_Gas_Block_Is_Different.html
.. and for the first time read that there are different versions or generations of the Sig516. If I read correctly the bolt carrier and the gas block are different.

I have a Sig516 and a Sig716 and I did notice that my 516 came with a black plastic case and has a squared off piston "knob" (don't know what it is actually called) and it screws in. On my 716 it does not screw in. You just turn it and it can come right out. At first I just thought that the 716 and 516 were just different. But after reading that topic I am lead to believe that this is not so, and that Sig changed it in the newer 516's also.
So the obvious first question I have is:
1a. Am I right?
2a. Does it matter which one you have? Is one better than the other? Was this an "upgrade" to a better version or just different?

Next it seems as though they have changed the bolt carrier too.
1b. Am I right in assuming this too?
2b. Does this matter which one you have?

I'm the one that wrote the post that you read.

When I called SIG and asked them why they changed the design they told me it was so they could have the same design with both the 516 and 716. This saves both time and money. I wouldn't call it an "upgrade". Also, some people didn't like how the piston threads into the gas block, so they got rid of that. As far as performance I'd say they are the same. Bolt design doesn't make a difference, just cosmetic,
XSentinel
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2012 4:34:24 PM
Thanks. I love my Sig (what I guess is gen 1) and I have had no problems with it at all so I am very very happy.

That said, I just took my 716 to the range for the first time and I love that too. Both guns are freaking awesome. I do have to say however that the 716 is a little bit easier to clean without the threads on the gas block, but not much. The 716 is easier to get out and clean because it is smooth. No ridges/threads.
prov431
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2012 8:07:23 PM
Put some antiseize compound on the threads, the piston will unscrew no problem and with no carbon build up.